New scenery under construction

General question for Sail Simulator (raising sails, pulling sheets, etc.)

New scenery under construction

Postby altug » Thu 12 May 2005 - 16:34

(!!!same message in MBS forum too!!!)

Hello again after a long time! :D

I was working on a new scenery. This time a real location :wink: . In this experimenting version only the shore line is correct; sea and land altitudes are fictious. Depths, hills and mountains are not based on reality. My aim is to film and photograph the land formation of the area and remake the final version of the scenery: sea levels and hill top's from the chart; land formation from visual recordings as real as it gets. Barry's alpha textures are really exciting for MBS and very usefull to have realistic land objects without destroying the frame rate of the game play.

Here I post screenshots of the experimenting version together with the real location called Gocek at the Mediterranean Coast of Turkey.

Coming in winter 2005 :wink: :D

altug :D
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
altug

Postby Exocet25fr » Mon 16 Jan 2006 - 19:24

ALTUUUuuuuuuuuug..........! :D

Where are you ?! :oops:

No news about your nice scenery.........!? :roll: :wink:
Jean-Marc
Exocet25fr

Postby altug » Thu 02 Feb 2006 - 02:12

Again :D

Sorry Jean-Marc my optimistic plan did not work with real life. Becoming a father 2 months ago can be a good excuse ;) maybe...

Image of the area from the space such in google earth give the idea of land formation but I noticed it is too much hand work to do the scenery from these images.

I am still searcing a good way to finish the project. I did it for example with SRTM data, .hgt files as Jereon mentioned but the outcome is far from the reality. I am trying to mix hand drawing the sea contour with the hill formation and elevation data of SRTM. Difficult to get a satisfying result.

For me the best would be to find a printed or digital land map of the area with elevations on an apropriate scale (1:50.000) as Alex did in Lofoten. Still looking for it.

So I was somehow reading all the post within my absance. I will try to post more under other topics too. I am a bit back to the scenery making.... :D
altug

Postby Barry » Thu 02 Feb 2006 - 03:04

Hello Altug

Interested to hear of your experience with srtm.
My trials with it creating routes appeared as a route made of a series of blocks, although the heights appeared to be about right.

The data I used for UK was 3 arc I think at 90 metres.
Although a very big resolution, I used 88 metres in my last 100 mile route for download (not srtm data) and although jagged tops to mountains and rivers, etc, it was still reasonble and recognisable.

So given up on SRTM for now.

Tracing contours in dem editor, seems to get best results at present for terrain from scanned details.

Barry

:)
Barry

Postby Exocet25fr » Thu 02 Feb 2006 - 20:05

Altug wrote:

Becoming a father 2 months ago can be a good excuse maybe...

I can admit that.......! :D :wink:

CONGRATULATIONS for the NEW FATHER..........! :D :D :D
Jean-Marc
Exocet25fr

Postby altug » Thu 02 Feb 2006 - 23:44

Thank You :D
altug

Postby Exocet25fr » Tue 08 Aug 2006 - 10:43

Hello Altug! :D

Any news about your scenery!? :P , I hope you didn't abandon your project..............! :wink:
Jean-Marc
Exocet25fr

Postby Barry » Tue 08 Aug 2006 - 13:36

Exocet25fr wrote:Hello Altug! :D

Any news about your scenery!? :P , I hope you didn't abandon your project..............! :wink:

Hi Altug me curious to. :wink:
and hello to Jean-Marc sub-mariner extraordinaire :wink:

Barry

:)
Barry

Postby Exocet25fr » Tue 08 Aug 2006 - 18:19

Hello to you Barry too..............! :D :wink:
Jean-Marc
Exocet25fr

Postby altug » Fri 11 Aug 2006 - 23:59

Hi Jean-Marc, Hi Barry, :D

I did not abandon or give it up but lets say postponed to an unknown date. Not only the heights and depths but also 3D objects such as marinas, lighthouses, buildings etc... really requires a lot of time... Also first I want to see the Sail Simulator 5 and hear something about a new version of Scenery Designer maybe...

lovely greetings...

altug :D
altug

Postby Exocet25fr » Mon 05 Feb 2007 - 13:48

Hello Altug ! :D .............and Barry & Ralf too...........! :wink:

Any news about your scenery ? :) , I'm afraid because you spoke about a version for SS5, but I don't want continue with that anymore and I will not buy the next version because I'm not trust with Stentec about that ! :?

Before you will modify it for SS5, I hope to get an version for SS4, no problem if it's not finished..............! :)

Please tell me ! :wink:
Jean-Marc
Exocet25fr

Postby Barry » Mon 05 Feb 2007 - 14:33

Hi Jean-Marc and Altug just to say hello again.

I think it looks OK for SS5.
Forecast for November and Beta testing Sept.
Mind you I also said that it was OK about 1 to 2 years ago :wink:

Theyhave taken on more staff and confirmed the file types will be vrml2 PLUS Obj files, etc. They mention they are also making a Ship Designer and new Scenery Designer so "apparently" that means you can add user-made boats to the sim?

quote from www.stentec.com

http://www.stentec.com/software/frame_i.html

"Our software team has re-started the development of Sail Simulator 5. A release of a beta-version has been planned for the end of September. DirectX9 technology will improve the graphical quality of boats and surrounding. This includes pixel shading and texture mapping on sceneries.

Further improvement on the physics will make virtual sailing with Sail Simulator even more realistic. The seaworthiness of boat and crew can be tested with the improved wind and wave modeling. Sheltering behind an island will be made possible.

A new scenery designer toolkit will allow importing of 3D-models in SketchUp and OBJ format. On request of many users the development of a ship designer will be started up. ......"
Barry

Return to Sail Simulator - General