User Friendly. Ease of Use. But not undue complexity.

General question for Sail Simulator (raising sails, pulling sheets, etc.)

User Friendly. Ease of Use. But not undue complexity.

Postby Barry » Fri 12 Oct 2007 - 13:30

User Friendly - Ease of Use - But not complexity.

As mentioned in other thread I have made content with gmax for a train simulator (mainly drivable boats, and docks etc), but increasing complexity over the years as regards setting up configurations, etc, can make things difficult for the average content maker.

So far although the Stentec Simulators have been fairly basic they ran quite well and scenery creation worked well.(before Vista).

Content was easily added to the Scenery designer with the Object Editor, with a few mouse clicks, to use as required. Again with Blender I am unable to export the texture with vrml2 (vrml97) for about a year now and need to go back to version 2.42a so my enquiries to Stentec regarding the use of obj. files which they said would be usable in SS5.

Anyway only hope that the forthcoming version of SS5 will still be user friendly as regards making and adding content and will still be able to used as regards obj. files.
Also excessive complexity makes life more difficult for the user/creator of content.

It does not look if I will find out if obj. files work when exported from Blender, until/if I buy SS5.
Years ago there was talk of a plug-in for the Blender Stentec simulators but that idea fizzled out.

Barry
Barry

Sailing

Postby Windquest2007 » Fri 12 Oct 2007 - 19:08

I am trying to find out if there are any online racing sites left. Is Sail Arena or www.Francis,ch still operating?
Windquest2007

.Obj files and SS5

Postby Jeroen Schlaman » Thu 18 Oct 2007 - 14:57

Hello Barry,

Support for loading .OBJ files will be present in the new SS5 engine. As for now it's possible to convert it to our mesh-format with the new Object Editor. How it will be implemented into the new Scenery Designer is still unknown at the moment, because that kind of details need to be chosen at this moment.
Animations will be still available through VRML. We are busy with a new fileformat which includes animation-support.

Greetings,
Jeroen Schlaman
Stentec Developer
Jeroen Schlaman
Site Admin

Postby Barry » Thu 18 Oct 2007 - 16:52

Thanks Jeroen.
Scuppered at present as regards exporting vrml2 (vrml97) from Blender with current version as script stopped exporting image for some reason.

Be nice if an exporter could be made which would create the file type with texture from Blender as open source.

Seem to remember mentioned a long time ago by "Stentec".

Barry
Barry

Blender exporter

Postby Jeroen Schlaman » Fri 19 Oct 2007 - 10:52

Strange the VRML exporter from Blender got rid of some functionality. That's not my defenition of a new-version :)

We will certainly research the possibility for a Blender-exporter. Because we also are facing the limits from VRML within SS5, it would be nice if we can skip the VRML-step within the 3D-model-to-ss5.mesh procedure. For both static as animated frames. At this moment we are busy making some (internal) tools and functionality to make this possible.

Greetings,
Jeroen Schlaman
Stentec Developer
Jeroen Schlaman
Site Admin

Postby Barry » Fri 19 Oct 2007 - 12:18

Jeroen - Just the script in Blender maybe a line missing but no problems with Blender itself as exports to about 20 file types including obj. direct.x. vrml2 (vrml97), also 3DS but couldn't get that to work to import into gmax for trainz.

Version 2.42a seems to export OK but not sure if that works with Vista. Versions are updated each 6 months or so. up to 2.45 now.
I did add a line in the script from 2.42a into a later version with my texture name and got a box to texture...however not sure what I was doing so gave up.

Can't test obj. Maybe you could test a simple textured box exported as obj to see if that would export OK in SS5 Object editor or scenery designer when function available.
I think obj is supposed to export animation but vrml2 does not export animation. However no way of testing anything at present. Direct X. export worked fine for Virtual sailor complete with texture but had to rotate for Y axis and not X axis.

Wouls apppreciate if SS5 could be tested with Blender as completely free, open source and worldwide support and tutorials. 4 basic tutorials on my site.

www.barrywright.clara.net

Thanks

Barry
Barry

Postby ajnasreddin » Sun 21 Oct 2007 - 17:16

Sometimes it's usefull to take a look at what other people are doing - so although it's not sailing related, those guys working on the Sims 2 have got some things going on. Although I don't know what you Stentec guys are up to, you could take a look and see what the Sims guys are doing and maybe you could get an idea or two.

http://sims.ambertation.de/en/about-simpe/
ajnasreddin

Return to Sail Simulator - General