New Boats?????

General question for Sail Simulator (raising sails, pulling sheets, etc.)

New Boats?????

Postby usa176229 » Mon 13 Oct 2003 - 01:19

When are you guy's gonna come up with some new boats to sail on sail sim, like Melges 24's Melges 30's, schock 40's, you know, some cool sportboats, or handicap racer boats like J130's J145's Schock 35's, or some fast turbo sleds.

I also find it quit funny how boats seem to fly out of the water in 20 knots of breeze in waves, i think it need to be a little more realistic thatn that
usa176229

Postby Hilbert » Tue 21 Oct 2003 - 13:52

Unfortunately new boats can't be expected soon. Our software developers are focussing on other projects first (Motorboat Simulator/WinGPS and SS5). We will inform when updates in SS4 can be expected.
Hilbert
Stentec Software Marketing

Postby Guest » Thu 23 Oct 2003 - 20:48

If you are currently developing SailSim5, I'd like you to add some tool to create boats, or, for example, import them from 3DSMax...
And, if you are feeling generous, INCLUDE A SNIPE!!!

New boats and boat creating.

Postby Maverick » Sat 19 Jun 2004 - 13:22

I think like usa176229!

New sport boats like skiff or melges (sleds) must be available and must be createable.

That were very super.
Maverick

Postby yachtie2k4 » Sun 20 Jun 2004 - 10:41

Hi Peoples,
Why dont you allow us to design our own boats, whether they be dinghies, skiffs, multihulls, trailer sailors (all types of trailer sailors, displacement & sports types), and keelboats. But allowing a website like you have for the boats that come with sail sim 4.2.4.0, where we can upload our own boats, so that other people can download them.
These boats could be designed in proper boat designing programs, such as MaxSurf or other drawing programs like AutoCAD.
Or maybe, do what you have done with the current version of sail simulator 4.2.2.5 where we have been able to include the scenery designer with the simulator. you could include the boat designer as well.
Thanks
Rob
yachtie2k4

Postby ajnasreddin » Sun 01 Aug 2004 - 13:27

I once came by a program on the net called Hull Form which (as the name suggests) allows one to design a boat hull. The program calculates how the hull will act in the water. There is an old (for Windows 3.1) version which can be downloaded for free. I'll try to post the link later when I can find it. Although the program is made for boat designers, it might be worth a look for the Stentec folks as a starting point for boat designing in Sailsim.

In the meantime, take a look at http://www.boatdesign.net/directory/
ajnasreddin

Postby ajnasreddin » Mon 02 Aug 2004 - 12:31

And the link is:

http://www.hullform.com/

Just click on downloads.
ajnasreddin

Postby Dogcatfish » Wed 18 Aug 2004 - 17:29

How did Sentec originally make their boats, because if there was a modelling program out there (like Blender) then the game could be made more interesting for all. Any hints as to how you made them?
Dogcatfish

Postby Jeroen » Thu 19 Aug 2004 - 09:08

For the boats in Sail Simulator 4 we designed our own hull editor and for the sails we used the program SailCut and 3D Studio Max.

Some of the newer boats in Motorboat Simulator (No Limit 1500, KNRM Rescue Boat) are designed using 3D Studio Max.

This will probable be the course we're going to sail for the next sail simulator release. Redesigning the boats completely using 3D Studio Max for the boats (hull, masts) and using SailCut and 3D Studio Max for all the sails.
Jeroen
Stentec Software Developer

Postby Dogcatfish » Mon 06 Sep 2004 - 18:34

Any plans to make your program availible to users? Even if your team is not focussing their efforts on new boats, it would be nice for others to be able to expand their playing horizons. This would help avoid the problem of people getting bored of the same boats over and over again. People could also share designs if possible...
Dogcatfish

Postby Dogcatfish » Fri 10 Sep 2004 - 18:15

Thought i might add as well (to see if i'll get a reply), anyone else found the cool bug in SS4, that if you set a negative value for the boat load, the thing soars into the air at a fair rate of knots!
Dogcatfish

Postby Dogcatfish » Tue 21 Sep 2004 - 14:08

Any replies this year, please???
Dogcatfish

Postby Ramon » Fri 24 Sep 2004 - 14:04

Sorry for reponding late.

The program we use to model ships will not be available soon for customers since this program is not really in a 'releasable' state.
Ramon
Stentec Software Developer

Silly

Postby Mici » Thu 04 Nov 2004 - 20:56

Hi

I have tested some boatsimulators and must say
that ss4 has the best feeling.
So credists for that.

But silly fornot releasing a boat designer version.
Vitual Sailor has many interesting and funny boats that make one
curious to drive.

I believe ss4 and mbs would grow much larger if you would make it
possible.

Anyway, thanks for a great simulator.
Mici

Postby Krizz » Wed 02 Feb 2005 - 17:24

A Finn, 470,.... Baltic, Etap, ..... Next sail sim should at least have 30 different boats to sail, that woeld be great !!

( Ps : Finn Rules --> I sail the Finn yeah )
Krizz

Return to Sail Simulator - General