Will vrml2 files no longer be valid for SS5 re latest update

General question for Sail Simulator (raising sails, pulling sheets, etc.)

Will vrml2 files no longer be valid for SS5 re latest update

Postby Barry » Tue 30 Jan 2007 - 15:47

Quote "A new scenery designer toolkit will allow importing of 3D-models in SketchUp and OBJ format. On request of many users the development of a ship designer will be started up..."end quote

With no mention of the current system of importing only vrml2 files. Regarding the NEW Scenery Designer has this method now been discontinued?

This of course will affect every item in all the sceneries of which I have made about 200 objects to date and of course every scenery I made would possibly be invalid in SS5.

However as I have all the original blend files made with Blender I can convert them to OBJ, but with no way of testing unless I can find an OBJ viewer that includes textures, not sure if the export will carry the texture with it from Blender although these can be set up in the export OBJ panel including animation, etc.

Again if we can still use srtm2 data can soon make new sceneries and possibly add updated blend files to OBJ format from Blender (if the textures carry over).

Also VISTA new operating system is out today and I notice many of the computers on sale from the firm I buy mine from now have it included in the computers. Again the current dem editor needs making compatible to windows 95 so what happens now with the VISTA compatibility functions as regards the dem. editor and current sailing simulator?

So far I have found out the OBJ file export from the Blender blend files is upside down so it needs rotating 180 degrees, So content needs to hang from the 0 line not sit on it in Blender before exporting to OBJ.
That was after viewing by importing OBJ files back into Blender.

The texture went back immediately using ALT plus Z. That is from the exported OBJ file and then reimported . However need to test it with a seperate viewer that also views OBJ objects with texture and not found one so far on net.

Barry
Barry

Postby Stefan » Fri 02 Feb 2007 - 10:02

Barry, only the new formats are mentioned in the post. We will continue to support vrml.
Stefan
Stentec Software Developer

Postby Barry » Fri 02 Feb 2007 - 13:59

Stefan wrote:Barry, only the new formats are mentioned in the post. We will continue to support vrml.

Hello Stefan and appreciate the update.
Wasn't too concerned as would have tried to convert all my content to obj, and am interested to see whether I will be be able to export animation as obj from Blender if animation function available in SS5.
It won't export with vrml2 from Blender but I think animation exports with obj files.

Early days yet though.

Thanks

Barry
:)
Barry

Return to Sail Simulator - General