Information from Stentec

General question for Sail Simulator (raising sails, pulling sheets, etc.)

Postby Jan » Fri 19 Jan 2007 - 20:59

Hi Barry

The free version of SketchUp has no time limit but saves only in his own format (skp), which is also used in Google Earth. It can export to some 2D formats like BMP, JPG, Tiff and PNG. The PRO-version can export to a lot of other formats but is really expensive. About the animation support of VRML i can't say anything.
In case of DirectX Stefan is right. Sorry Stefan.

Jan
Jan

Postby Barry » Sat 20 Jan 2007 - 00:02

Barry

Postby Barry » Sat 27 Jan 2007 - 13:13

Just been looking on the Internet for more details on Vista, due out next week, regarding compatibilty with 95 programs or 98.
The scenery designer and dem. editor are about 4 and half years old I think, and as mentioned you have to make the current dem. editor compatible to windows 95 now to save a dem. map at present.

Apparently there is a compatibility function in Vista, but whether the current simulators and especially the scenery and dem editor will still work Ok remains to be seen.

Be about another 4 months until I renew the computer including Vista with it.

Another problem I may have as I am dial up and I read it downloads additional drivers from the Internet which may not load unless "always on" connection.

For now I have put the 2 tutorials regarding Blender back onto my site on a temporary basis, srtm2 satellite data and basic Blender inn tutorial.

So from my point of view until I know how things are with the current Stentec software regarding Vista, and until more information becomes available for SS5 regarding updated sceney and dem editors, which I asssume will be used to make any sceneries in it, and whether these will be available with it, pointless me considering it further until then.
Also as my main interest is in older sceneries I would need more flexibity in SS5 for me to continue with it, compatible to my interests.

I do not mean sceneries or content as I can make them, but functions such as suitable boats such as gaff-rig, and function to add user made "moving" boats and background moving boats or whatever.

Crew in racing gear c1800 sceneries does look a bit silly. :wink:
or using the motorboat simulator just to enable the 32bit textures for trees and content etc in 1800s sceneries.

Barry
Barry

Postby Barry » Sun 28 Jan 2007 - 18:05

Thought I would have a look at sketch-up free version.
On dial up and downloaded the demo version but waste of time as doesn't open to install.
Have downloaded files up to about 100-200 meg before and no problems installing them.
May try it again later as possibly file got corrupted on the download or probably not bother.

Apparently cant export animation in vrml2 from Blender as just beem trying the particle emision and probably easy to add particles, moving shoals of fish, undersea effects with bubbles, etc with it...but vrml2 only exports as static.

Pity there isn't an open source program running for maritime simulators.
Probably could be done with Crystal Space, open source, linked to Blender but can't understand it anyway.

http://www.crystalspace3d.org/main/Main_Page

Barry
Barry

Postby Barry » Sun 28 Jan 2007 - 21:20

Found out a bit more on the Stentec Site as regards a new scenery designer. just as easy to export from Blender as OBJ format files for me as have all my original blend files. As long as there is a choice for us. Also seems that we may be able to add our own working ships with a new ship designer mentioned as well as a scenery designer? Don't know about the dem editor though as just as important but maybe combined with the Scenery Editor?

Quote"...software team has re-started the development of Sail Simulator 5. A release of a beta-version has been planned for the end of September. DirectX9 technology will improve the graphical quality of boats and surrounding. This includes pixel shading and texture mapping on sceneries.

Further improvement on the physics will make virtual sailing with Sail Simulator even more realistic. The seaworthiness of boat and crew can be tested with the improved wind and wave modeling. Sheltering behind an island will be made possible.

A new scenery designer toolkit will allow importing of 3D-models in SketchUp and OBJ format. On request of many users the development of a ship designer will be started up. ..." end quote

Barry
Barry

Previous

Return to Sail Simulator - General