So how to proceed?.....

General question for Sail Simulator (raising sails, pulling sheets, etc.)

So how to proceed?.....

Postby Barry » Mon 05 Mar 2007 - 22:58

So how to proceed?.....

Sailsimulator 5 plus new Scenery Designer. Beta end of Sept. Available end of November (maybe?). need it on disc in the UK, from my usual UK supllier, (on dial up, and I don't buy online) so maybe next year?

14, I think, of my sceneries available for download from Stentec. But to make them more usable for people I did not put any trees on or make use of 32 bit textures, except on a few of them, which then only look Ok in the motorboat simulator.

No news of whether the sailsimulator or the Scenery and Dem editor wilL still run on "Vista". The demo apparently doesn't, so have my doubts if the others will, but maybe the motorboat simulator will still run OK.

Barry

P.S. I edited non essentials as a now sticky thread.
Last edited by Barry on Mon 30 Apr 2007 - 15:38, edited 1 time in total.
Barry

Postby Stefan » Tue 06 Mar 2007 - 07:33

Hi Barry,

We are currently busy changing our "older" motorboat simulator code to use the new techniques available in modern graphics cards, like pixel and vertex shaders. This should really speed up things and opens up new possibilities.

We have also done some tests with Sail Simulator and Motorboat Simulator on Vista. The programs complain about D3DRM.dll missing, which is part of DirectX8 and 9, but it is missing in DirectX under Vista. You can however find the file on the net. If you copy it to the installation directory of Sail Simulator and/or Motorboat Simulator the simulators should work.
Stefan
Stentec Software Developer

Postby Barry » Tue 06 Mar 2007 - 10:15

Hello Stefan many thanks for the update.

I was going by what a member of the ship simulator 2006 forum posted when I recommeded the Stentec demo. I will see if I can find the file on net and keep it in store for myself and maybe post info on ship simulator forum.

Just seeing how the computer prices move as each new graphics card gradually brings down the middle range computer prices.

Also my main interest is creating older sceneries as you know so Scenery and Dem editor is also just as important.

Thanks

Barry

:)
Barry

Postby Stefan » Tue 06 Mar 2007 - 12:05

Barry,

You can find it here: http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files_new.php/dllfiles/D/d3drm.dll/5.1.2600.0/download.html

Or copy it from your current Windows XP system. You can find it in the system32 directory in the windows folder.

I've also entered these in the FAQ sections on the forum:

Sail Simulator: http://forum.stentec.com/viewtopic.php?t=2455
Motorboat Simulator: http://forum.stentec.com/viewtopic.php?t=2456
Stefan
Stentec Software Developer

Postby Barry » Tue 06 Mar 2007 - 13:01

Stefan wrote:Barry,

You can find it here: http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files_new.php/dllfiles/D/d3drm.dll/5.1.2600.0/download.html

Or copy it from your current Windows XP system. You can find it in the system32 directory in the windows folder.

I've also entered these in the FAQ sections on the forum:

Sail Simulator: http://forum.stentec.com/viewtopic.php?t=2455
Motorboat Simulator: http://forum.stentec.com/viewtopic.php?t=2456

Stefan

I downloaded a copy of it from the net and there were many different links about it. Possiibly a lot of people are having problems with different games, etc.

Also will keep a copy of your link just in case needed.
We are making progress and thanks again.

Barry
Barry

Postby ajnasreddin » Sat 17 Mar 2007 - 18:39

This is good info. Maybe it ought to be made a sticky.
ajnasreddin

Postby Bill Cridland » Mon 28 May 2007 - 22:32

Barry nice tio read your comments re: New version 5 Sail Simulator about a month ago I got an email from a New Stentec marketing mgr and he asked me whether I would like to beta the hot off the line version 5 around sept. I of course said yes!. I asked them if it was possible we could select a second boat. Say set this boat automatically with gps waypoints etc and the other you sail that boat it would be a lot of fun racing againgst another boat. I have one of the latest video boards and its only now I realise how well Stentec did their homework on the sea simulation . No other sail simulator comes close. As far as upgrading I think they should charge whatever they want for version 5 since they have to pay software/engineers to write the code. As far as paying for it have no problem paying in euro on line . Again nice to read your comments Barry. Bill Cridland Bolton MA USA
Nothing in mind at the moment !
Bill Cridland

Postby Barry » Tue 29 May 2007 - 00:30

Hello Bill.

We definitely need some background "traffic" and another boat as you say to race against or whatever off-line, to bring the sim to "life", although more interested in creating past ages myself of a century or 2 ago based on real data. so still need gaff rig and the new scenery designer they mentioned.

Not heard anything from Stentec regarding testing the beta version, but on dial up so files may be too big for me to download anyway.

Barry
Barry

Re: So how to proceed?.....

Postby Bill Cridland » Thu 08 Jan 2009 - 03:23

Barry I no longer have STentec 4.2 on my computer . I changed over to Virtual Skipper 5. Its a free download but I bought the full program since it was so good. Take a look at their product nadeo.com
Bill C
Nothing in mind at the moment !
Bill Cridland

Postby Barry » Fri 09 Jan 2009 - 20:25

Hi Bill will have a look but still on dial up so makes large downloads a bit difficult. More interested in Scenery and 3D content creation than racing. Was still waiting on sailsimulator 5 especially the Scenery Designer, No idea when it's due out as no date given, or whether it has even been started on. So perhaps too many years have now passed to be of further interest to me?

Thanks

Barry
Barry

Postby altug » Thu 07 Jan 2010 - 02:56

Hi Barry :)

It has been a long long time :) Today I was checking http://www.sailsimulator.com and amazed how SS 5 has become now.... and while checking the forum, here you are with a fresh post... like old times. Anyway I am buying SS 5 soon cos I cant resist to what I have seen :). But I am afraid and feel like there wont be further 3D scenery designer software for users anymore. Do you have any first hand information on that from Stentec? Because what I see at SS 5 is another generation of graphics and play engine etc... I am not sure if they can produce user software for scenery design and combine with the gameplay anymore with these new technologies!! I mean I would love to have that as much as you but lost my hope on that! During my absence here I enjoyed the first version of Ship Simulator, great sceneries and ships but no sailing and no nature controls so did not last long for me...Now back to SS again without hope for scenery design....
Lovely greetings,
Altug :)
altug

Postby Barry » Sun 11 Apr 2010 - 17:24

altug wrote:Hi Barry :)

It has been a long long time :) Today I was checking http://www.sailsimulator.com and amazed how SS 5 has become now.... and while checking the forum, here you are with a fresh post... like old times. Anyway I am buying SS 5 soon cos I cant resist to what I have seen :). But I am afraid and feel like there wont be further 3D scenery designer software for users anymore. Do you have any first hand information on that from Stentec? Because what I see at SS 5 is another generation of graphics and play engine etc... I am not sure if they can produce user software for scenery design and combine with the gameplay anymore with these new technologies!! I mean I would love to have that as much as you but lost my hope on that! During my absence here I enjoyed the first version of Ship Simulator, great sceneries and ships but no sailing and no nature controls so did not last long for me...Now back to SS again without hope for scenery design....
Lovely greetings,
Altug :)

Hi Altug. Only just saw this post so a few months late in replying.
Stentec have made no mention of a scenery designer so no longer interested in their sailing simulators.

I did try making a sailing simulation using the Blender game Engine.
I can now make a srtm2 mesh in the Blender game engine Blender and can get any animation to run in the Game Engine. including boats up to a few hours. More difficult making drivable but can be done by running a boat on its keel with a transparent water level at about 2 metres above. If you are interested in running animations of boats stopping at different quays, etc in Blender might be worth experimenting as you can use any of the content you made previous. I think there are 3 or more of my threads about the Blender game engine, but took the images off my site so my posts on UKTS are also now without my images. If you post on the canal thread etc on UKTS will probably find you. Name precar.

Thanks

Barry

Have been posting on the ship forum on UKTS under precar.
http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewforum.php?f=275
Barry

Return to Sail Simulator - General