Latest released version: 18.104.22.168
Sail Simulator 5 engine
The engine is based on the latest DirectX 9 technology. The engine has the following features at this moment:
* Advanced ship-physics
* Time of Day Lighting, with sunrise, and sunset effects ensuring realistic transition between daytime and nighttime
* Exact moonphase and sunposition for any place and time on earth
* Parallax and Normal Mapping giving a greater sense of depth to a surface texture, realistically emphasizing the relief surface structure of objects
* Specular, Ambient & Glossiness mapping
* Supports Shader Model 3.0
* Skeletal skinned animations
* Advanced 3D Ocean Technology
* Realtime Per-Pixel lighting
* Translucent sails
* Advanced camera system to create stunning in-action views
* Multiplayer racing
* Public session server for creating and joining sessions very easy
* Environment Mapping
* Advanced scenery rendering
* Transparent water to show depths and underwater objects
* Vegetation system for rendering a huge amount of vegetation
* Wind turbine support
* Scenery dependant wind
* Wind wakes
* Depth-dependant waves
Ship physics & features
For SS5 we included some new physics and features to ensure even more realistic sailing.
* Sheets will hang when there is no tension on it.
* Twist of the main sail (and other sails), to be controlled by main sheet and vang.
* Flexible mast for local curvature control.
* The boom can be pulled down by pulling the sheets, so the twist and curvature can be pulled out of the mainsail.
* Segmented sails for better physics calculations on the sails.
* Telltales on the sails