New Scenery Danish/German Coast: Bight of Kiel - Baltic Sea

General question for Sail Simulator (raising sails, pulling sheets, etc.)

New Scenery Danish/German Coast: Bight of Kiel - Baltic Sea

Postby ED50 » Fri 13 Jan 2006 - 01:22

Hello Sailors,
I have placed a new scenery Danish/German Coast: Bight of Kiel - Baltic Sea on my Web Site: http://ed50.eqo.de/

Please feel free to download (for non commercial use only).

Additional objects available there also, e.g. buoys and leading lights.

Please place your feedback here.

Bye
Ralf
http://www.ed50.de
ed50_sail_sim(at)yahoo.de {(at)=@ to avoid spam mails}
ED50

Postby Exocet25fr » Tue 17 Jan 2006 - 13:41

Hi Ralf ! :D

Did you received my email about Super Buoy correction ?

I replaced the previous mass of 419908.59 by 250000.00 !

Now the Super Buoy is stable and doesn't sinkink or flying when you approach it ! :wink:

Note: flying feature seems possible in Sail Simulator...... :?: :!: :idea: :roll: 8)
Jean-Marc
Exocet25fr

Postby altug » Thu 02 Feb 2006 - 02:37

Hi Ralf!

Congratulations, very good work :D Thank you for this new scenery. I loved the new buoys and Kegnaes lighthouse especially :D
altug

Postby ED50 » Tue 07 Feb 2006 - 21:47

Hi Altug,
thank you for your post!
May be you have already seen but I like to give a hint that I improved the buoys by adding light. They are available under my download site.

Best Regards
Ralf
ED50

Postby ED50 » Sun 19 Mar 2006 - 23:46

I have added new lighthouses to download on my Webpage:

Albuen
Hojbjerg
Langelandsbelt S
Keldsnor
Vejsnaes Nakke

Hojbjerg and Langelandsbelt replaces buoys - detail see webpage.
ED50

Postby Exocet25fr » Sat 25 Mar 2006 - 15:22

I downloaded your 5 new LightHouses few days ago !, but I didn't have free time to install them ! :oops:

I just finished to install them today ! , not easy ! he...he...he...!:D

Nice Work !, thanks for these addons ! :wink:

Hello to Barry and Altug too.........! :D :wink:
Jean-Marc
Exocet25fr

Postby ED50 » Sun 26 Mar 2006 - 19:27

Hello Jean-Marc and Altug and Barry,

I equipped the lighthouse Kalkgrund with light now :!:

Ready for download now.

Greetings
Ralf
ED50

Postby Barry » Sun 26 Mar 2006 - 20:44

Hello Ralf. Thanks for the update.
Afraid not much into navigation, but interesting to see how your scenery progresses.

Thanks

Barry

:)
Barry

Postby ED50 » Sun 26 Mar 2006 - 23:56

Hello Barry,
thank you for your post.

I am still working on the second version with corrected deeps. I started to build larger objects with complete harbours like the danish town Marstal. May be I will put it on my download as an example.

Disadvantage: The scenery will be very large but it looks very realistic.

I am still not able to post pictures here. I send a email to the Stentec help desk - no reply :evil:
I read in different post that you have contact to the director of Stentec - may be you can give him a hint.

I just put 4 pictures on my webpage under "Pictures" :!:

Bye
Ralf
ED50

Postby Barry » Mon 27 Mar 2006 - 00:26

Hello Ralf

Regarding contact with the director of Stentec I unable to help with that.
It was only relating to an email he sent, in reponse to a query from me a while ago, outlining the possible functions to be included in sailsimulator 5 such as moving ships, possibly larger sceneries, textures, etc.
I have no other contact with him.

Regarding showing images as far as I know.
Link to it to show on yor own page on your computer.
Upload the page and the image to your ISP as a mirror copy of what you have on you computer.
This should then show on your website OK.
Copy the full path of the image on the Internet page.
Right click properties.
IMG enter path as an example
***http://www.barrywright.clara.net/images1/conwy_barmouth1.jpg****
then click img tag again to close it.
[img]********[/img]

You probably already do all that, so maybe something to do with the site were you store your pages and images?

I like the idea of complete harbours but that would take a bit of work?
Trouble is we then need the other moving ships, maybe end of November, for sailsim 5, but seems a long way away and I, need the CD version which is probably even further way!

Thanks

Barry
Barry

Postby Barry » Mon 27 Mar 2006 - 00:43

P.S. Ralf I also reduce the size of the JPEG image with Irfanview so about third of screenshot size. Around 20k more or less.

Barry

I made a link to an image on your site to test it but have deleted it as not allowed notice came up, so deleted it. It showed the image for a second
I right clicked on the image place holder, icon it showed the image reduced size in a seperate panel. I am using Mozilla Firefox.
But as I say only tested it for a minute and then a warning notice appeared.

So perhaps reduce to about third size see if that works, but I think there may be restrictions to viewable just on your own site?

Barry
Barry

Postby Exocet25fr » Mon 27 Mar 2006 - 19:45

LH Kalkgrund installed..............! :P

Thanks for the Update ! :wink:
Jean-Marc
Exocet25fr

Postby ED50 » Tue 28 Mar 2006 - 22:34

Hello Barry,
first of all thank you for your immediately testing of my problem. It really help me because I thought I have a problem with my user rights to post images but it looks like that I have (again) a problem with my webpage provider. I made a test and it works:
(Don't mention it - it is only testing)

Regarding your question about large objects:
I decided to make larger objects for two reasons
- It is more precise to create a harbour based on a navigation chart
- In case you have to change the DEM you have to equip one object only!!!

Prerequisite for this was your hint to append objects in Blender (thanks again). I first create objects as an isolated object and append it to larger objects later. This helps to reuse objects.
Based on this I created a "assembly Kit" to create houses. What I mean is that I have created a set of houses which uses the same bitmaps of identical shape. This allows to equip the same house with diffent colours and roofs. (In case somebody is interested I can offer it on my webpage).

The second thing is it is easy to create harbour based on navigation charts. First you need a navigation map.
- You can use a PC navigation program (in case you have one)
- You can use http://www.nv-portpilot.de/contentlangu ... F11138/de/ (limited number of ports)
- You can use http://www.navichart.com/ . They offer a free download of a test version of thier software which could be perfectly used to catch navi charts for Blender objects.

When I found "my" harbour I make a screen shot and store it as jpg file.
I made a excel sheet which calculates the size in meters and the middle position (needed to place the object in Scenery Builder) based on the left/right/upper/lower postion. In Blender I create a object with that size in meter which contains that navigation chart only and check the size and the postion in Scenery Builder. I normally have to adjust both manually. After that you can add your isolated objects by the append function and place them on the correct postion visible on the "navi chart" object in Blender. In case you need several object of the same type you can copy it with <shift D> and place them. With a little bit routine you are very fast in it.

The only disadvantage is that it is more than complicated to set the collision frames because the object is to large. But normally the harbour is place on land so is not a big disadvantage.

Hope that explains a little bit.
I case somebody like to see the interims result of version 2 I can post a "preview" of the new scenery on my webpage.

Best Regards
Ralf
ED50

Postby Barry » Tue 28 Mar 2006 - 23:42

Hello Ralf and thanks for the detailed information.
Glad you got the image showing on forum thread.

Regarding putting the collision spheres on, you proably know that they will not work in sailsimulator unless you "mend" them in wordpad.
But they will work OK in the motorboat simualtor.
Collision frame?
At least that is the case on my computer. but easy to mend with one giant sphere around the small ones, copy the line with file opened in wordpad, delete giant sphere and paste in value.
As far as I know you still have to fix them as I don't think the "bug" has been repaired to make them work in sailsim. Just the small spheres seem to work fine in motorboat sim without the "repair".

I gave up myself fixing them as rarely use the sailsimulator now(although my routes are set in about 1800 but no option), and use the motorboat simulator, due to problems with sailsim locking up when I change settings.

So, with many of my later quays, etc the boat sails right through them in sailsim but works fine in the motorboat simulator. Collision spheres need to be in line with the ones on side of boat. I find on some of my "rocks" and ,searoad and wall, that boat can sail over or under them and object may need more than one row of collision spheres on them.
Be interested when tides come in the simulators, as would need to cover all of seawall for 9.3 metres at Liverpool down to about 7 metres around welsh coastline.

I don't know what the tides would be like regarding height for your area.
Always been puzzled, do we make a sceneries for low, medium of high tide? Not very realistic at present with no tides at all so I pretend its full tide height?

Regarding the append function I used that to make the different size masts and sails by keeping them seperate, fort he boats then scale them up a bit to a scaled up ship hull and adding them on as seperate units.

I have made a full town with about 300 houses in the Egypt scenery. Just rotated some house at right angles angle or joined them in groups, pairs, etc. Changing the colours and roofs, etc sounds a good idea of yours.

With my previous routes I worked over an actual map of the scenery whem making the dem. map, background button, so could place the items fairly accurately in scenery designer with creeks and rivers visible.

With using srtm data from now on, a bit more difficult as working over greyscale but you can make the water as pink dem to work on, as all water is zero height to start, so all the bays, and inlets can still be seen in scenery deisgner. for placing content.

But I have always got the excuse that rivers, and harbours were entirely different in 1800 from now. :wink:

Thanks

Barry
Barry

Postby ED50 » Thu 30 Mar 2006 - 23:19

Hello Barry,
I just add a new "How To Place Houses" on my webpage which includes a download of my "House Assembly Kit" :lol:

It includes all images and objects and some "block of houses" to simulate towns.

(I put the information under a new thread also.)

In case you are interrested I can send you the blender-files also.

:!: I am also interested to get some feedback from other users whether we can continue in that fashion to create more reusable objects for more sceneries.

Best Regards
Ralf

Attachment:
The info from thread
Creation of houses as a Stentec 3d object is a very time consuming task. I therefore decided to build a set of images and Blender objects, which can be combined to have the most possible variances within scenery with less effort.
The images and with this the shapes of the house can be easily extend by standard Microsoft tools Paint and Editor.

The images and the objects can be downloaded here: http://ed50.eqo.de/Howto/HowToAddHouses.html

Description:
The images
Basis for the assembly kit is a set of bitmap (bmp) files which contains the same structure:
1. The first third contains the image of the wall
2. The second third contains the shape of the doors and windows (black and white)
3. the last third contains the image of the roof

It is easy to create new images by your own by copy a new wall colour or roof image and store the file under different name.

The Houses
I differ between different sets of houses:
· County site: File name starts with “HC “
· Town: File name starts with “HT “
· Harbour: File name starts with “HH “
Each file names contains in the middle an type indication like S, M,L and at the end the three colours of wall, doors and roof, e.g. “HC XXL blue white redâ€
ED50

Next

Return to Sail Simulator - General