Collision Properties SS5?

General question for Sail Simulator (raising sails, pulling sheets, etc.)

Collision Properties SS5?

Postby Barry » Tue 09 Sep 2008 - 15:09

Stentec...Will the old method still be used of adding collision spheres to the quays and to boats etc. I have been making some new content with Blender including 1.5 miles of Liverpool docks c1800 in 3 half mile sections. If the old method is still being used I could add seperate collision strips to the quays as wood beams etc when SS5 Scenery Designer becomes available.

The docks below I made a few years ago from seperate quays with collision added with Object Editor. That stopped working properly a while ago also. The docks I have just made are in 3 seperate sections but alternativley could always go back to the old system and make the different bits and pieces for Liverpool docks c1800, then add collision spheres to each piece with SS5 Object Editor?

If anyone knows about how to export from Blender as OBJ files with working animation please advise .

Barry
Barry

Re: Collision Properties SS5?

Postby Jeroen Schlaman » Wed 10 Sep 2008 - 08:25

Hello Barry,

At this moment we still use the collision sphere method as in SS4..

OBJ files do not have animation support, looking to the official fileformat documents. The way Blender exports them (as separate files per frame) is not a common way animations are exported. Also Blender doesn't export the keys needed for animating the frames within time. Without these keys there is no animation possible, because these keys describe time and transformation for each frame.
Greets,
Jeroen Schlaman
Stentec Developer
Jeroen Schlaman
Site Admin

Postby Barry » Wed 10 Sep 2008 - 12:51

Hello Jeroen.

I know I asked previously about OBJ files from Blender and you kindly posted the details.
I asked on the Trainz foum and a chap mentioned who creates content in Blender that he had exported OBJ animation files as a single file a while ago as far as he remembers.
However not heard from him since.

Bit lost to understand why there is a Blender OBJ export for animation though.
I understand the points you make regarding exporting the keys.
Just looking at the Blender export choices box for OBJ.......... Selection Only/All Scenes/Animation.

Although Blender is quite easy for the basic content creation it is quite complex with the numerous functions available for texturing with normals, animation and much more, but I just don't know enough about it, and know very little about its animation methods using bones etc.

Not too bothered about animation though for a sailing simulator just interested.
Wouldn't mind animated watermills and windmills c1800.
Such as at Trefriw c1800 from an old picture.
My basic Blender version.

Thanks

Barry
:)
Barry

Postby Barry » Wed 10 Sep 2008 - 23:11

Regarding the Object Editor which is also used for placing collision spheres; I noticed in a post made months ago that the new Obejct Editor could read obj files I think?

Why I am asking is although I got rid of 4.2 sail and m/b sims as useless for me without the scenery designer, broken since using Vista, I kept the Object Editor and have just tried it out again.

This still does not work using arrow keys as the the x,y,z figures become erratic with many decimal places appearing to each value etc, and the collision sphere moves a bit then vanishes.
Same result over 2 computers using XP and Vista over the years, although worked fine when I first got it about 2003.

Still works when typing in the x,y,z, positions but more tedious using that method.
This brings me to exporting to the S3D and buoy files which I assume this will be replaced due to including the other file types in addition vrml2, which is all we could export to before?

I assume placing the collision spheres, etc, will work OK in the new Object Editor?

Thanks

Barry
Barry

Return to Sail Simulator - General