New Screenshots of SS5 on Stentec Site

General question for Sail Simulator (raising sails, pulling sheets, etc.)

thats great

Postby yachtie2k4 » Sun 02 Dec 2007 - 09:53

hey jeroen,
that sounds like it will be a great boat designer program. what parameters do you have to add, i am guessing speeds and that sort of stuff?
am i guessing correctly that we will need to have 3d models (from 3D studio max) to be able to have sailable boats?

are there going to be any new boats? will you be updating the VOR60 to a VOR70? any chance that the soling could be replaced with something, such as a sportsboat (like a libera). will there be any skiff type boats in ss5, such as the 18fter? i am guessing you will update the tornado with the sports rig?
cheers
rob
yachtie2k4

Re: thats great

Postby Jeroen Schlaman » Tue 04 Dec 2007 - 13:39

Hello Rob,

There are several parameters you need to set before a boat can float. Masses, some hydro-parameters, rotation angles, etc.
After the first floating-test, the tuning can begin ;)

We are currently creating some new boats. Because of the new engine-techniques we need to update the 'old' boats if we want to use some of them in SS5.
Greets,
Jeroen Schlaman
Stentec Developer
Jeroen Schlaman
Site Admin

boats?

Postby yachtie2k4 » Wed 05 Dec 2007 - 08:07

hey jeroen
will we be able to have boats with canting keels? this would be pretty damn good and would it be that hard to create? like the controls could be the same for the waterballest.
any chance you could tell us what boats are being included in it?
will you be asking us for what boats we would like in the game?
cheers
rob
yachtie2k4

Re: boats?

Postby Jeroen Schlaman » Wed 05 Dec 2007 - 11:36

Hello Rob,

Cantingkeels are supported.
The release-version of the shipdesigner will be as simple as possible.
I can't tell you right now what our final SS5 fleet will be.
We are always open for suggestions about new boats, so if you have some wishes, please post it. After that we can have a look to these several options.
Greets,
Jeroen Schlaman
Stentec Developer
Jeroen Schlaman
Site Admin

suggestions for boats

Postby yachtie2k4 » Sun 09 Dec 2007 - 00:47

hi jeroen
sweet as about canting keels.
that sounds good about the release version of the shipdesigner

is there any chance foiling boats (such as International Moths) will work?

for keel boats i would love to see VOR70, TP52, STP 65, one of the 98fters (Wild Oats, Alfa Romeo, Maximus, Skandia, Lepoard of London 3, Konica Minolta), Open 60's, Open 40's, some Super30's (Thompson 8, Melges 32, Admiralty 30, Phucket 8)
for cruising keelboat- Sydney 32, Sydney 38, either swans or those wally boats.

for sportsboats- Thompson 7, elliott 7, Vavice, stealth 8, Melges 24, Magic 25, or some of the Shaw designs.

for dinghies- a type of skiff (12, 14, 16 or 18), a 49er, laser, FD, Musto Skiff, Swift Solo, definately would love to see a foiling International Moth

for Multihulls- Desicion 35, Extreme40, ORMA 60, Sport Tornado, C Class, A Class, Formula 18's.

cheers
rob
yachtie2k4

Postby Jeroen Schlaman » Mon 10 Dec 2007 - 09:52

Hello Rob,

Thanks for your wishlist. I will forward it to the person who's in charge of this.
Greets,
Jeroen Schlaman
Stentec Developer
Jeroen Schlaman
Site Admin

Postby ajnasreddin » Mon 10 Dec 2007 - 17:36

As long as we're wishing, it would be nice to have some classics - a schooner or two, maybe one of the old America's Cup boats.

http://www.herreshoff.org/

Go here straight to the pictures:

http://00002vw.previewcoxhosting.com/fr ... oframe.htm
ajnasreddin

ok some older boats as well

Postby yachtie2k4 » Wed 12 Dec 2007 - 10:34

America's cup boats, the J boats, definately would love to see the 12m's especially Australia II the first boat to end USA's domination of the America's Cup. i would love to see some square riggers Cutty Sark would be insane.

ok i don't really know to many old boats so i shall go back to my more modern boats.
would love to see some of the big maxi's, like Mari Cha III & IV, Maiden Hong Kong
also maybe some of those new single hander trimarans, like IDEC.

also how good are the graphics going to be? will we be able to create textures of wood that would be insane.
will we be able to reskin everything, including decks, foils, tramps (on multi's) mast/booms?

on the shipbuilder subject, will it be fairly easy to design our own boats or will it be pretty complicated? will we need other programs or will we be able to just use the shipbuilder?

will we be able to create foiling boats?

also, any chance we would be able to create Radio Control boats? this would be another pretty cool aspect of it.
cheers
rob
yachtie2k4

Re: ok some older boats as well

Postby Jeroen Schlaman » Wed 12 Dec 2007 - 14:36

Hello Rob,

The graphics in SS5 will be much better then SS4. Using a new lightmodel, support for several texture-maps, shaders and more efficient rendering the boats will be quite realistic. Of course this depends on the model- and texture-quality.

Our goal for the Ship Designer is that users can create their own ships as simple as possible. It will also be possible for users that they can customize every detail of their ship (texturing, shapes, parameters, sailing properties).
Greets,
Jeroen Schlaman
Stentec Developer
Jeroen Schlaman
Site Admin

awesome

Postby yachtie2k4 » Wed 12 Dec 2007 - 14:53

so will we be able to have foiling boats?
from when i play ss4, i am guessing that there are parameters from 0 knots to top speed (is this correct), so i am guessing you have to enter the speed at which the boat gets up planing (if this is correct) could you then go further to get the boat up on foils?
and am i guessing we will be able to have transparent sails?

another thing i'd love to see is being able to back the main as well as the jib so we can sail backwards. will this be able to work?

any idea on when ss5 will be out roughly?

saw the new pic with the curved mast, that is awesome.
yachtie2k4

Re: awesome

Postby Jeroen Schlaman » Thu 13 Dec 2007 - 16:11

Hello Rob,

At this moment our engine doesn't support foiling boats. But maybe it will be implemented. It is one of the things on our wishlist.
Transparent sails are supported indeed.
I don't know if sailing back will be supported within SS5. We first need to complete the boat so it will sail forward for 100%:)

We are making some plannings for the release, because the SS5-engine is almost upgraded now and we have a good view on things to do.
Therefore I can't give you any details yet about the release-date. One thing: It will be in 2008 ;)

The curved mast is indeed one of the new sailing-techniques. Together with the segmented sails this strongly increases realism.
Greets,
Jeroen Schlaman
Stentec Developer
Jeroen Schlaman
Site Admin

cool

Postby yachtie2k4 » Fri 14 Dec 2007 - 15:50

ahh ok about the foiling, hopefully it will be able to be implemented.
i can remember using sail sim 4.2.2.5 and we could control the port or starboard jib sheets, maybe this is the way to make it backwind?

also i have just upgraded my computer its a p4 2.8ghz 256mb nvidia geforce fx5500, will this work with ss5?
cheers
rob
yachtie2k4

sounds on ss5

Postby yachtie2k4 » Sat 15 Dec 2007 - 11:38

hey jeroen
i am in the process of getting Virtual Skipper 5 as i am getting it really cheap and wanted to see what your competition is doing, at the moment i am looking at things to download for it and i came across this video of the schooner America that someone is creating and thought you guys could take a look at all the sweet things that i found in the video
http://www.virtual-winds.com/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?cid=71&lid=918
the thing that amazed me the most was how they have created such awesome graphics. it appears that they are able to have thunder and lightning, will this be available to us? and the sounds of the boats, if you listen to that video about 1/2 way through it when it is sailing at night time they have created some awesome sounds for the boat that sound realistic. i hope this will help
cheers
rob
PS, i have always played both games, SS for the fact that it kicks any other program's arse for realistic motion and controls. VSK for the racing that includes the ISAF rules and AI competition. any chance we will be able to have AI boats to race against?
yachtie2k4

Postby ajnasreddin » Tue 18 Dec 2007 - 16:55

I got the VSK 32 America's Cup - and there are a lot of nice environmental effects. Thunder, lightening, storms, city noises and lights, etc.

SS5 as atraining tool, I should think, would include weather effects - especially as it seems to used by someone or other in the North Sea area, which has some extreme weather! Of course it'd aslao be nice to have the moon, stars (include a sextant for navigation learning :wink: ), some interesting clouds/weather system (clouds indicate weather fronts), and fog would be nice.

Still, SS5 has the best boat physics out there - and although VSK is nice, it isn't the same.

Last thought - I'm with Barry in trying to get some AI traffic - really important.
ajnasreddin

ss5

Postby yachtie2k4 » Tue 18 Dec 2007 - 21:54

yeah vsk5 is a racing simulator. i guess we can only hope that it will be better on graphics/weather models. i also have ShipSimulator 2008. the graphics in that are extremely sweet as well, you can set everything to do with the weather as well. i am guessing everyone at stentec has gone on xmas holidays!
yachtie2k4

PreviousNext

Return to Sail Simulator - General