Feature list SS5

General question for Sail Simulator (raising sails, pulling sheets, etc.)

Postby yachtie » Tue 19 Oct 2004 - 10:37

ohh & also have proper night, so that you can't see very far.
yachtie

Postby Guest » Wed 20 Oct 2004 - 16:48

..and and water surface transparent fading down to (-)3-5 meter deep please

altug

Postby ajnasreddin » Sun 24 Oct 2004 - 13:54

I'd like to have a mouse "look" - much easier than fiddling with the arrow keys. I'd like the sails to raise/lower, etc. with the mouse wheel. Actually, I'd like more freedom to asign keys.

On another level, I'd like more realistic weather simulation. I'd like to be able to see a squal moving in. I'd also like to be able to sail long distances - 100% realism is not completely necessary (no need to chart all the oceans and all the coasts - but rather have a fairly good chart of where I leave and where I want to arrive).

Greater variety of boats would be nice, or a way to create them for the sim.

- Abed
ajnasreddin

Postby ajnasreddin » Thu 28 Oct 2004 - 12:21

Additionally, I'd like to see the stars. :lol:

- Abed
ajnasreddin

Postby ajnasreddin » Thu 11 Nov 2004 - 11:34

It'd be nice to have more sail options as well.

- Abed
ajnasreddin

Postby Griffo » Sun 21 Nov 2004 - 09:18

hey all, my thoughts... :idea:
> hav a boat designer tht can design new boats
>base more on real things, waves, tide, lee shores etc
>hav Sydney harbour a place!
>have the computer as a competitor to sail against
>design the people/clothes on them for the boat

Thanks Griffo
Last edited by Griffo on Tue 07 Dec 2004 - 23:37, edited 1 time in total.
Griffo

Postby Barry » Mon 22 Nov 2004 - 23:37

Main thing for me is to have more than one boat moving in a scene off line.
I don't race on-line so little realism with one boat on empty seas.
Also the ability to be able to sail one's own made boats or the boats made by other people from the forum. This way any type of boat could be made eventually depending on one's interests.

I consider this essential for any realism.
Next an easy to use updated, route editor with more functions and the various bugs fixed in the current version such as the collision spheres and being able to make any boat you make yourself float easily. Some will not float.

Oh also make gmax available with a plug-in, as I am having trouble with the ATI card and Blender at present and I can use gmax.

A few more....transparent water, point and click to place objects in the route editor and to delete them if required, larger routes with the route editor, central library to download objects and boats from, more relevant shipping and dockside sounds. Ability to place sounds in a route triggered by the vicinity of the boats and ships.

Barry
Barry

Postby ajnasreddin » Thu 25 May 2006 - 16:33

Here's that thread! Last post was Nov. 2004 :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

How time flies!
ajnasreddin

Postby Barry » Thu 25 May 2006 - 18:40

Hi again AJ

The forum crew seem to have been deserting ship over the years.
Down to you and I now, but big ships difficult to handle on our own, and I am not going up aloft to bring in the top gallants.:wink:

So as an example install Virtual Sailor Demo, Install the beta 7 on top.
Make any srtm route within 2 minutes, takes no longer, with say all deep water, but without rivrers opened up, etc.
Download the boat I have in my Stentec sceneries static as won't move, from my site. Virtual Sailor (Not Skipper) 02 page.
Stick it in the boats folder. or any other VS boat, up to 6 in the demo, and away you go.

Set tides waypoints, weather, and sail between sceneries as required, place working lighthouses, etc.

As I say an example only, as still like the precision of the Stentec Scenery Editor, especially for placing objects, precision with srtm data for detail, and dynamic wave action in the Stentec simulators.

P.S. Trees etc work properly also without 32 bit textures.

Barry

Barry

Postby ajnasreddin » Tue 30 May 2006 - 14:19

So, how are the boat dynamics? Do the sails respond to the wind or do they just flip about?
ajnasreddin

Postby Barry » Tue 30 May 2006 - 15:20

Hi AJ

Anyway not much point in making any of my boats floating now in the Stentec simulators if a few together seem to hammer the frame rates.

So maybe the Stentec simutors are just designed for one boat moving and a very few small boats floating?
That unfortunately is not amongst my interests.

On my computer the water sometimes stops moving in mb simulator, and can see under the curling edge to terrain below, although a flat screen may solve that.

Scenery Designer almost 4 years old and you need to make it compatible to windows 95 to get it to work.

Collision spheres I put on do not work now in sailsimulator even with the wordpad "fix".

Maybe Stentec could give further details??

I mage shows boat in VS not in sailsimulator
Last edited by Barry on Thu 01 Jun 2006 - 12:40, edited 4 times in total.
Barry

Postby ajnasreddin » Tue 30 May 2006 - 16:42

The pictures you posted certainly look nice! I've often wanted to sail a gaffer myself.

There's a lot of free software out there for boat design, sail design, etc. but there isn't much in the way of simulators (even for a price). As you've noted, every program has its pros and cons. I can understand the number crunch constraints on a lot of levels - programs either give the focus to the environment or to the boat. Still, with graphics cards able to handle input in a more sophisticated manner, I'm surprised Stentec hasn't jumped to upgrade SS sooner - at least cosmetically, if not a major overhaul. Too bad there isn't some sort a website people could post their programming wishes. Personally, my interests lie more in long distance sailing than in racing - though I don't mind one now and again. Though on that note, I'd like a try at racing some of the older boats - especially before the bermuda rig took over things.

I suppose it's a complicated business overall and nothing will ever be perfect. I've been impressed by a couple of titles out there - Silent Hunter 3 is one. Again, it's not perfect and its focus is not on the simulation of the sub itself nor the weather or other environmental factors - but still pretty amazing of what can be done.
ajnasreddin

Postby Barry » Tue 30 May 2006 - 18:04

AJ

You can make sceneries any size, say from 10 to 100s of miles for sailsimulator or for VS with srtm.
Depends on the detail you want though.

More info on my site.

Barry
Barry

ideas

Postby Aussie » Fri 10 Oct 2008 - 09:45

hey all

i was just wondering if you could put canting keels on the bigger racing boats??
also what about bigger cruising and racing catamarans and trimarans??
i would like to see some more boats in the game like a 29er, 49er,international 470, Bladerider international moth, 18ft skiff, skud 18 and maybe a Contender.(all high performance dinghys/skiffs)
i ask this because i am hopeless with modeling things on conputers so i don't think i would be able to make these myself.
I am from Australia so you might have some trouble finding some of these boats and i know its a bit late to ask this but you could put it in a patch or something.

thank you

Damian
Aussie

Re: ideas

Postby Jeroen Schlaman » Tue 14 Oct 2008 - 08:58

Hello Damian,

We will support Canting Keels on our ships. We already have one boat in ss5 (based on the Volvo Open 70) which has a canting keel.
At the moment we have four ships, and we will create more within the near future and include these into an update or something.
Greets,
Jeroen Schlaman
Stentec Developer
Jeroen Schlaman
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Sail Simulator - General