Feature list SS5

General question for Sail Simulator (raising sails, pulling sheets, etc.)

Feature list SS5

Postby Remco Moedt » Wed 22 Oct 2003 - 17:55

I wonder, is there a (public) feature list available about what will be present in SS5? And is there any sense if people would provide a wishlist about what they would like in SS5?

Cheers!

Remco
Remco Moedt

Postby Stefan » Thu 23 Oct 2003 - 10:02

Sail Simulator 5 for Timex is a Sail Simulator based on our newer Motorboat Simulator engine. Which has no extra features besides the Timex stuff and there's not yet a feature list.

Ofcourse, there is always sense in people providing their wishlist. Maybe somebody mentions a feature which we did not think about and that's really neat to implement. So, go ahead an post your wishes. (But as always not all wishes will or can be granted ;) )
Stefan
Stentec Software Developer

SS5 wishlist

Postby rdahmes » Fri 07 Nov 2003 - 17:59

Stefan.......Here are a few thoughts about features for SS5:

1. Utilize the scenery engine from Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 as it has worldwide coverage, MESH elevations and buildings/objects.
2. Utilize a weather/environment engine that will link to real-world weather conditions and display them correctly in the environment.
3. Provide a boat design software that allows user to design their own vessels.

I believe that the above features would truly enhance the "real world" feel of the simulator and provide interest to a larger group of potential buyers.

Rob Dahmes
rdahmes

New Feature

Postby Francis » Fri 14 Nov 2003 - 14:00

:idea:
To do races together, it would be good, to show the ways also from the other boats also on the chart. Maybe in a different colour.
Sometimes we discuss if somebody was around the buoy or not.
Maybe a button to numerate the buoys, to make the course clearly for everyone.
It could be helpful to set some default instruments and cameras. So in multiplayer games it would be not nessecairy, to set up the hole screen always.
On mousklick show something like a lens, with witchone you can see trimm helps in the sails or look for the buoys or something else.
Image Image
Work on the Multiplayer session engine. A lot of time i can see open sessions, but can not enter, because their local ip is provided. I think those are ADSL-Router or Cable-Modem users. I found a workaround and descibed it on my page. But this is not a nice solution.
Fix the bug "Access violation"! It can be so booring, to host a session and this error comes up. From my point of view it hapens mostly if a session for more than 4 people is open.
Last edited by Francis on Fri 19 Dec 2003 - 18:19, edited 3 times in total.
Francis

Postby Windquest » Fri 21 Nov 2003 - 18:30

For the SS5 wish list I would like to see the Swan 77 or Swan 70 as a new boat style.
Windquest

Postby Remco Moedt » Sun 23 Nov 2003 - 18:55

I can think of tons of things I would like to see added/changed in SS5, but 2 of the most important things are:

The possibility to be able to select any axis/button (or combination). Since I've a throttle and a few other analog knobs and handles, it would be nice I could use them.

More choices regarding navigation. Like being able to print a map, using a compass to track a landmark ("peiling" in Dutch, can't remember the English word right now, too much beer(or too stupid <g>)). Also things like tides, and being sheltered by land would be nice.

I understand that SS5 is based upon MS1, so I guess moving bridges/lights/locks will be a possibility. I also understand that it will be possible in the future for the user to create new boats for MS1. Does that also include sailingboats for SS5?

Anyway, I like SS4, keep up the good work!

Cheers!

Remco

PS, where is that darn seagull I keep hearing? <G>
Remco Moedt

Postby Barry » Sun 23 Nov 2003 - 19:36

Currently using sailsim but will change to motorboat sim when I eventually buy fuller version.

Also would be interested in moving locks, tides, etc. Making several models
with Blender which are usable in sailsim but don't know about if usable in motorboat sim. The last model made was dock gates.

A lot is dependant on the Scenery Designer Toolkit usable for both sims so maybe more options when version 2 comes out. Perhaps easier more detailed dem options for finer detail work like extensive docks, etc? Animation was mentioned for it also I think. Also more than 1 sailable boat or animated boat in a scene as not into racing, although a variety of static boats, sail, square rig, or motor can probably be made in buoy format for either sim. The sailing barges I have made float in sailsim but no idea if floatable in motorboat sim.

Barry
Barry

Postby Aal » Sun 23 Nov 2003 - 22:58

Barry..Barry... I think (but that is just an uneducated guess) that you shouldn't get your hopes up too high on the scenery developer 2. Partly because there is very low activity o the scenery designer front.
Shame on everybody (except for Barry and a couple more) who read this. :wink:
/Alex
Aal

Postby Barry » Mon 24 Nov 2003 - 21:00

Alex we can't do anymore so we will see what develops.
The solid foundation for realism is in place so hopefuly more functions will get added sooner rather than later, to make it more interesting.

Was thinking of making the landing stage floating as used to be about half mile long with up to 30 feet tide in Liverpoool.
Any passengers on it will just have to cling on if the stage gets shot 100s of feet up into the air, as the buoy format seems to have a mind of its own for large "items" (for me). :wink:

Barry
Barry

Postby Jeroen » Tue 25 Nov 2003 - 14:23

A new version of the scenery builder will have to be constructed because we make the sceneries with the tool ourselves.

The first Scenery Designer Toolkit was simply a release of the developer version :).
Jeroen
Stentec Software Developer

Postby Barry » Wed 26 Nov 2003 - 22:17

Jeroen

Sounds promising.

Regarding the future developments do you have an approximate time scale when more function will be available. I think the Scenery Designer developments were mentioned for this year as detailed below. . However I realise there can't be an exact time scale but is it being worked on?

My interests are NON racing which for realism needs more than just the one drivable, or moving AI boat in a scene. As mentioned previously will probably buy the motorboat sim when a "fuller" version becomes available.

I would prefer this with version 2 of the scenery designer all on the one disc. The present route editing I find difficult if trying to work on extensive harbours, etc as a line (pixel) of say 5 or 10 metres required, but to make a large enough route it needs about 30 metres. Just an example.
----------------------------------------------------

Future developments ..

"Scenery Designer version 2, inc. animated objects (for traffic, lighthouses, flashing lights). Ideal for creating a harbor approach for training purposes. Also to be used for Sail Simulator 4.2. "
-----------------------------------------------------------

Thanks

Barry
Barry

SS5 Wishlist

Postby yachtie » Wed 14 Apr 2004 - 11:23

Hi All,

Heres what I think would make the sail simulator awesome:

-Have a boat designer that allows us to make our own boats & give them to friends who have ss & shows us basically how to make a boat, so that if you made something wrong with the boat it would sink.
-Have AI boats that can sail properly.
-Have telltales on sails
-Be able to adjust the transparency of the sails so we can have clear windows & proper mylar sails.
-Have penalties & tell why you got the penalty
-have waves that break like real waves
-have proper clouds, rain, lightning, thunder & the sun
-Have Port Phillip Bay as one of the other sceneries

Regards
Rob
yachtie

Postby Jetset » Mon 09 Aug 2004 - 14:16

Full control configuration system, to allow joystick mouse and keyboard controls to be mapped side by side for controlling the boat.

eg. Keyboard to control sails / Crew while using the joystick to control rudder / mailsail.

edit: oh and a boat editor so we can create boat models.
Jetset

Postby RavenX » Mon 09 Aug 2004 - 15:07

From spending a couple of hours in Sail Sim it's a nice simulation - it "feels right".

In addition to the wishes above :-):

- Random velocity/angle changes to wind (my experience is e.g. you get gusts that are at a different angle to the prevailing wind) - sinosoidal is interesting in so far as it adds variance, but isn't very realistic :-)
- Navigation lights for night-time sailing
- Land effects on wind & waves - e.g. calculate the reach from current position to nearest land. (Going leeward around a headland will go through different angles of wind)

Tim.
RavenX

Wish List

Postby Brett » Tue 19 Oct 2004 - 01:17

What I'd like to see is a connection to a GPS or GPS saved file that simulates (replicates) what you actually sailed on your boat. That is, you go sailing with your GPS, record track and then download and SS shows you where you sailed, tacked etc. Of course you need a calibrated scene of your area, but this would help actually analyse real sailing performance.
Brett

Next

Return to Sail Simulator - General